Social Proof. A Key Marketing Strategy
A Key Marketing Strategy for your Online Business: Social Proof
Etched in us is the uncanny nature of seeking other people’s opinions. You remember the new phone you had to buy? You probably asked a few of your friends about it. You also could have gone the extra mile of looking into reviews.
Social proof might be the reason as to why you chose the last hotel you stayed in. It is also the reason as to why you want to buy a product from a brand that’s causing ripples in the market.
A more scientific explanation or rather let us directly quote Wikipedia.
“Social proof, also known as informational social influence, is a psychological phenomenon where people assume the actions of others reflect correct behavior for a given situation. This effect is prominent in ambiguous social situations where people are unable to determine the appropriate mode of behavior, and is driven by the assumption that surrounding people possess more knowledge about the situation.”
There are different types of social proof. Let’s have an in-depth look at each one of them.
- Endorsements from experts: What this entails seems really clear. It involves getting recommendations on your products from industry experts. As they share such recommendations on online platforms, they can be regarded as endorsements.
- User social proof: Marketers widely share successful user experiences. Moreover, businesses urge its customers to make videos of them using the products and services. Through this, they recommend your brand to other potential customers.
- Positive reviews are an example of user social proof: Their importance as you start your online business can’t be understated. From statistics, 85% of consumers trust reviews as much as a personal recommendation.
- Celebrity social proof: It’s when celebrities endorse your products. This could be through tweets and Instagram posts.
- Certification: This kind of social proof is associated by having a stamp of approval from figures of authority in your industry. For instance, the checkmark on a user’s Twitter and Instagram account. From such verifications, potential customers have confidence in your brand.
- Popularity: There are quantifiable signs of popularity associated with a brand. They increase customer confidence and as thus they can buy products that your business offers. This category of social proof includes comments, views, and likes on social media platforms.
How to implement social proof in your marketing strategy?
1. Invite trendsetters in your industry on your social media platforms
You can take advantage of the established stature of key players in your industry. Through this, you tap into the influence they have and subsequently, you capture their audience. By letting them use your Instagram account, for instance, they can go live and their followers will be made aware of your brand. Your brand thus gains visibility which is critical to increasing your sales.
Moreover, you can organize a social media events with a number of experts on platforms such as Facebook live. By doing this, you make use of their influence and expertise which increases your business’ credibility.
2. Share milestones
Every business has milestones it surpasses. As you reach such milestones, it’s important that you share them with your customers. It goes a long way in showing appreciation of the role they’ve played in the success of the business.
3. Mention your company’s customer base
In the event that your company enjoys a large a customer-base, you can highlight it on your social media profile bio. It shows other potential customers, that others are using your product as well. Moreover, it creates a positive impression for your business.
You could also mention other countries where you offer your products and services. Furthermore, just to add the icing on the cake, you could state the number of recommendations you have. For example, 200 5-star ratings!
4. Customize content for your social media followers
User-generated content is crucial to reach your customers and reach more. You could use specific hashtags to engage them.
5. Display Customer Reviews & Testimonials
On your website, you can display customer reviews and testimonials from various customers. Through them such testimonials more customers will have the courage to buy your product as most folks want value for their bucks!
Social proof is a key element that you must integrate as one of your marketing strategies. In an ever-increasing consumerist culture, you need it. It offers you the opportunity to get more customers and make your brand stronger and trusted.